You will be asked to write a summary of not more than 60 words in Section B of the PMR English Language Paper 2
- Read the question carefully and identify the nouns in the question (Underline them as this will help you to detect the points)
- Then look at the 10 words given.
- Try to find the 10 words in the text, sometimes not the whole 10 words could be found in the text. If, the 10 words is no where in the text, look back at the question; words from the question could be in the text. (Usually the points are directly after the words and in the second paragraph)
- Read the text carefully to identify important facts/ points.
- Underline the important facts/points, leave out details like example or lengthy descriptions.
- Before you write your summary.. List down the points, write them down in your answer sheet and then, count the words. Name of people and places are considered as one word. Examples: Kota Kinabalu, Tun Mahathir Mohamad
- After that, do some cutting, pasting and joining; cut redundant words and try to join the points and re-organise them.
- Make sure that what ever you do would not change the meaning.
- Then, as far as possible write out your summary using your own words, but use the same tense as in the passage.
- You must use /begin your summary with the 10 words given.
- Use connectors or whatever suitable words to link the fact.
- Write your summary in not more than 60 words and in one paragraph.
- Don't forget to write the number of words in brackets as the end of your summary.
Sample Question (Section B, Paper 2 – PMR 2006 )
Write a summary on why Zoo Negara has problems with the animals left at the gates.
Your summary must:
- •not be more than 60 words, including the 10 words given below
- •be in continuous writing (not note form)
- •be written in one paragraph
- Use your own words as far as possible without changing its original
meaning. Begin your summary as follows.
Zoo Negara accepts the abandoned animals but the dumping has ....
The ‘words’ – but the dumping has could be found in Paragraph 2, line 2.
Contents to why Zoo Negara has problems with the animals left at the gates:
- 1.grown tremendously.
- 2.animals arrive at the zoo ill and malnourished.
- 3.Feeding and handling them incur costs.
- 4.They might even bring diseases and infect other animals (The animals are quarantined for three months before they can go into enclosures).
- 5.they take up the limited quarantined space the zoo has.
- 6.Primates (are released into forests as they) attack each other in shared enclosures.
- 7.The zoo does not accept species listed under CITES for illegal origins but these animals are also being left at the zoo.
Based on the points above, we could see that :
- The first point directly connected to the 10 given word.
- The second point, is connected to the the nouns - zoo, animals and problems.
- The third point, is connected to zoo and animals; as feeding and handling is done definitely in the zoo and the pronoun them, refers to animals. While cost is the reference to problems.
- The fourth point, they refers to animals, bring diseases refer to problems and other animals refer to zoo.
- The fifth point, they refers to animals, limited quarantined spaces to problems, and there is the noun zoo.
- Point six, primates refers to animals, attack each other refers to problems and close enclosure is definitely zoo.
- Point seven, The noun zoo is there, so does animals and of illegal origins refers to problems.
In conclusion, if you have problems getting the points, try to find them based on the nouns in the question.
TRY TO FIND THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THESE 2 ANSWERS.
Sample Answer 1:
Zoo Negara accepts the abandoned animals but the dumping has ....// grown tremendously. (C1) Animals arrive at the zoo ill and malnourished. (C2) Feeding and handling them incur costs. (C3) They might even bring diseases and infect others. (C4) So, they are quarantined for three months before they can go into enclosures and thus take up the limited quarantined space the zoo has. (C5) Primates are // released into forest as they attack each other in shared enclosures. The zoo does not accept species listed under CITES for illegal origins but these animals are also being left at the zoo.
Contents = 5
Style and Presentation = 3
Total = 8/10
Sample Answer 2:
Zoo Negara accepts the abandoned animals but the dumping has ....// grown enormously. (C1) Animals of illegal origins,(C7) malnourished and ailing with infectious diseases (C2) and thus have to be quarantined are being dumped at its doorstep. (C4) Apart from having problem of inadequate quarantined space, (C5) primates also attack each other in shared enclosures. (C6) In addition, Feeding and managing them too incur costs. (C3)
Contents = 5
Style and Presentation = 5
Total = 10/10
- LOOK AT HOW POINTS IN SAMPLE 2 ARE REORGANISED; POINT 7 GOING UP WHILE POINT 3 AT THE END.
- CERTAIN WORDS, SUCH AS ILL IS CHANGED TO AILING.
- LOOK AT HOW POINT 7, 2 AND 4 ARE JOINED.
** Remember:If it is a story..
- Remember to change the pronoun; I to he/she, me to him/her, mine to his/hers, he/she to what it refers to, we to they, us to them, our to their and etc..
- The points in the summary must be written in sequence. (New)