LEARN A WORD A DAY

Friday, November 6, 2009

Directed Writing: Sample Essay

You recently represented your school in a competition with other local schools. You were very pleased with the result and have been asked to write an account of the event for your school magazine. You must include the following details.

●when and where the event was held
●how you prepared yourself for the competition
●some details about the event itself
●your feeling when the result was announced
●the reactions of your friends and family

You may add futher details if you want

The Answer:

As I entered the famous “Star Hall” of Superstar College last Saturday, 22nd of September, 2009, I was nervous. There were more people than I expected. It was a big moment for me. All my friends and my family turned up to support me. It was a singing competition. Should I win this competition, I would be granted a place to study in the most prestigious music college in Korea. On top of that, I would be entitled to the much coveted Star scholarship as well.

Preparation for the competition started a year ago. Upon being selected for the competition, my father had engaged a personal tutor for me to practise my singing. Realising that the results of this competition would be the determining factor on my future choice of college, I practised day and night. My tutor, Mr Ong Teng Hu had managed to help me find my own distinctive voice and taught me how to manifest on it.

When the exciting music started, the audience applauded enthusiastically. All the participants started to prepare themselves for their big moment. As I waited apprehensively for my turn, I heard a loud thud. The participant before me had missed a step and fell. She was rushed to the hospital and the competition resumed. I was worried that I might make a mistake.

It was my turn now. I cleared my throat. My heart was throbbing fast. The brightly-coloured lights dazzled me. Everything looked pretty hazy; the big hall, the countless people and the lights. As soon as Mr. Kama introduced me, I managed to smile cheerfully. Then as the familiar music played I sang along beautifully. Soon, it was over.

At the backstage, anxiety was high. All the participants were looking very anxious. I was perspiring profusely. I had butterflies in my stomach as I strained my ears to hear the announcements. Then, the unbelievable moment came when Mr. Kama announced my name as the winner. My family and my friends shouted in joy and rushed up the stage to embrace me. We could not contain our happiness and joy. Tears of happiness coursed down my cheeks as I was crowned the winner. Mr. Kama commented that I was indeed a rare gem; an outstanding talent. From that day onwardds, I stood tall and confident of my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Collection of SPM English Language Question Papers

2005
Terengganu Trial [Paper 1]

2007
Johor Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Terengganu Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2] [Answers], Melaka Trial 2007 [Paper 1] [Paper 2], TIMES [Paper 1] [Paper 2] SPB [Paper 1] [Paper 2]

2008

Terengganu Mid Year [Paper 1] [Paper 2],
Trial
MRSM Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], SBP Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Kelantan Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Terengganu Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Kedah Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Johor Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Perlis Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Sabah Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Sarawak Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Melaka Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2]

2009

Terengganu TOV [Paper 1] [Paper 2] Terengganu Mid Year [Paper 1] [Paper 2]
Melaka Trial , Johor Trial , Sabah Trial , Kedah Trial , Perlis Trial , Times , SBP , Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2]