LEARN A WORD A DAY

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The three most dangerous words in the English language

The three most dangerous words in the English language are "I know that".

How many times have you heard a piece of advice that was so tried and true you barely stopped to think of it's meaning?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Our brain immediately jumps to "oh yeah, I know that, I've heard that one before, what's next?"

How many times have you read the first part of a book or article only to skim over the rest because you had already heard the idea?

"The secret to success ....... is to find a need and fill it."

We immediately cry out, "of course it is, but that doesn't do me any good right now!"

And how many times have you listened to a public speaker profess their belief in an age old wisdom, such as building better relationships?

"That's a great idea", you might say, "but I tried that years ago."

What's funny about the human brain is that even if we know something works, that doesn't mean we actually do it! I know that I should create a to do list everyday to get more done, but sometimes I just don't feel like it. I know that I should stay in touch with new people and work toward building a better relationship with them, but sometimes I forget. I know that I should avoid giving advice when it hasn't been asked for, but sometimes I just can't help myself!

We must be constantly reminded of the things we "know", to make sure we keep doing them.

If you've ever read the reviews of famous books, you've probably seen some comments that say "What a waste of money, this is just common sense!" People assume there must be some hidden secret they are using to get ahead. It can't be this simple, can it!

Well, yes, it really is that simple. Successful people use the same ideas that we've all heard for years. Just because advice is simple, that doesn't mean it won't work.

In short, the next time you hear an idea or piece of advice, avoid the natural temptation to say "I know that". Just because you know something doesn't mean you are actually putting it into practice on a daily basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Collection of SPM English Language Question Papers

2005
Terengganu Trial [Paper 1]

2007
Johor Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Terengganu Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2] [Answers], Melaka Trial 2007 [Paper 1] [Paper 2], TIMES [Paper 1] [Paper 2] SPB [Paper 1] [Paper 2]

2008

Terengganu Mid Year [Paper 1] [Paper 2],
Trial
MRSM Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], SBP Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Kelantan Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Terengganu Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Kedah Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Johor Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Perlis Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Sabah Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2], Sarawak Trial [Paper 1 & 2], Melaka Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2]

2009

Terengganu TOV [Paper 1] [Paper 2] Terengganu Mid Year [Paper 1] [Paper 2]
Melaka Trial , Johor Trial , Sabah Trial , Kedah Trial , Perlis Trial , Times , SBP , Pahang Trial [Paper 1] [Paper 2]