THE second part of Section A in Paper Two, the rational cloze, tests your understanding of grammar. You are given seven questions; among the items tested are articles, conjunctions, determiners, prepositions, pronouns, subject verb agreement and tenses.
To be able to handle this section, you should have a sound foundation in grammar.
It helps to know your grammar rules because then you can analyse why an option is correct or incorrect.
Guidelines for rational cloze
- Read the text to get a general idea of what it is about and to find out the tense is used.
- Apply grammar knowledge, or rules, where possible.
- Use clues in the text (such as anaphoric or cataphoric references) where possible.
- If unsure of answer, use the elimination method to narrow down your options.
Chocolate is one of the few foods that can make people happy. It is obtained 9 the seeds
of the cocoa tree. According to historians, cocoa has been 10 for at least three thousand
years in Central America and Mexico. The Aztecs used cocoa beans to make a hot, frothy
beverage. They believed that chocolate could give a person wisdom and energy. 11 , it
was reserved for warriors and priests.
Today, chocolate 12 available to everyone and comes in different forms. 13 of what
we consume is sweet chocolate, which is a combination of chocolate and sugar. Milk chocolate,
another popular variety, is sweet chocolate to which powdered or condensed milk
14 been added. White chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar and milk 15 no cocoa
solids. According to scientists, dark chocolate is good for health and should be eaten in
9. A of B at C with D from
10. A cultivate B cultivates C cultivated D cultivating
11. A Hence B Nonetheless C However D Although
12. A is B are C was D were
13. A Many B Much C Few D Several
14. A is B are C has D have
15. A or B so C but D and